Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Quilt That Whispers....and A Winner!

Do you favor vintage or reproduction quilts over more contemporary ones? Get a little weak in the knees when looking at a breathtaking antique red and green appliqued beauty? Does your heart sing when you spy a quilt that has shirtings or madders or touches of cheddar? 

Years ago, I found this quilt top in a shop just west of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. 
Not sure what initially drew my attention but I liked the pink sashing, the variety of reds, shirtings, and the one block featuring fabric from the Centennial in 1876.
It is said that dating older quilts means it is only as old as the newest piece of fabric. This particular quilt top is 1900 or so (at the latest ?). Like those of us today who pull from our stash, the quilter might have done the same thing. Most of the blocks are hand pieced though the sashing was applied by machine. Notice the frugality - the red and black check (known as Garibaldi red) square has been pieced to make a complete square.

The block pattern goes by numerous names according to Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Blocks...4X Star, Churn-Dasher, Five Patch Star, New England Block, Greek Cross and my very favorite - Father's Choice.

Not sure if it was a group effort as the work is quite consistent. Did a single quilter sit quietly of an evening, pulling scraps of fabric from her basket as thoughts and dreams circled in the room around her? It has never been quilted or tied and is in quite good condition with a few minor stains. It is whispering to me..."please add a nice batting and a simple backing so I can be shared with everyone...my quilter would like that." Maybe an all over classic Baptist Fan to add soft curves...keep whispering...I am listening...

Oh! I suppose you would like to know the winner of the Quilt Book Giveaway...just had to watch our Packers go 7 and 0 in the season! I will wander over to that name-filled pumpkin...who will it be...??


And.....it is Carrie from A Passion For Applique! Carrie has a great blog with lots of wonderful posts that include applique and informative tips...be sure to give her a visit. 

That's it for now...have a good week and listen for whispers...you never know where they might come from.









8 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the winner! It sound like she is someone who will truly enjoy the lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilts whisper to me too, especially how to quilt them. I'm not very biased when it comes to styles but the classic traditional ones really get my attention. Congratulations to Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are so right about whispers...you never know where they might come from: It is not only the month for Halloween, but breast cancer awareness month!!! Treat yourself or a loved one because you care! I am just stopping by with a reminder to do your self breast exam.
    Here's a fun place to start! Everybody loves boob lube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8pIHy2GRI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Carrie. Thank you for sharing this beautiful quilt top and the love that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems to me that quilting is a whole science all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, what a great quilt top to own.
    YOu definitely should put it together.
    I won!!! Yippee! An email is on its way. thanks you so much. Can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Carrie!

    Love that pumpkin stitchery at the end of your post - is this something you made? (And I know what you mean about the whispers! I'm learning to listen to them!)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love quilts and they indeed whisper to me too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!