Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Stitching Faerie and Bias Tape Maker Success!

Perseverance, fortitude and dedication...a quilter must have all of these traits...but having a very clever and creative friend tops them all! Thanks to one of my applique stitching friends who also owns one of the Simplicity Bias Tape Makers, the mystery of the non-folding 1/4" tip has been solved. At a recent get together, we had dueling bias tape maker machines...
Barbara Jean discovered that if you cut the bias strips 1/8" wider than recommended in the instructions...(we are told that if the final bias tape or stem should finish to 1/4", then cut the strips at 1/2" - just like using one of the Clover bias makers)...


...in this case, cut the strips 5/8" wide...then you can see by the photos, a perfectly folded bias stem emerges from this lovely little machine and we are now on very good terms with each other...most of the time...
Still have a little issue with how yards of prepared bias feed when the joining seam hits the narrow tip end...


As you can see, the edges have a tendency to open up, so I am playing with how the seam is tapered.
It is important to have the seam allowance going away from the entry point on the tip.

At any rate, it is minor as those little edges can be needle-turned in when appliqueing. 


I made 5 yards though in less than a minute...I know, I know, this isn't a race...but it is kind of fun! And once my borders are set up, it means I can get to the appliqueing that much sooner...and I didn't burn my fingers.


So, in my final report about the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker - I would give it an A-.  End of story!


Look what Lemon Verbena Lady sent me...isn't this little Stitching Faerie the sweetest??!!! (Love the strawberry held by the bird - like William Morris' The Strawberry Thief)

She will hold a place of honor in my sewing room and watch over everything. The people I have "met" through blogging are so incredible - Nancy is so knowledgeable about herbs and gardening in general. I have learned much from her and her friendship is one of life's treasures. 


Life is very good at Taylorsoutback these days...hectic, but good. The back is 100% better, my seed order from Renee's Garden has arrived and even though there is snow in the air, the daylight lingers a little longer each day. Lots of things going on quilting wise and there will be more posts coming soon to show you what I have been up to.

Have a good week and come back to visit soon!











8 comments:

  1. Yaya for figuring it out!!! I am taking notes on this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are having such wonderful luck with your bias maker. Should make all your stems go smoothly - it's the little things in life, isn't it? Houses are looking fantastic. Waiting to see more of what you have been up. Been fighting bronchitis and a cold, and will now have to sew like crazy to get my UFO complete this month. Best wishes to you- Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you figured out the bias tape maker - quilting friends to the rescue!
    Look forward to seeing an update on your other quilting projects. It's good to hear your back is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing - that machine is just too much math for me!
    Your little stitchery gift is so very sweet - what a nice thing to receive in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hip hip hooray!! And, I love that you are timing yourself. LOL! Too much fun. Now, to see what you do with that bias tape. ;) blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the report and the hint!
    I think I'd like one of these -

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet cross stitch. that was so nice of her.
    Pretty cool gadget.
    Yes, I have noticed that the days are getting longer too. It won't be long before you can get out in your garden.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear that you are feeling better! And what a lovely stitched gift.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Hm...I will have to check out that bias tape maker... What model # is it that you have? Are they all pretty similar? Wow! 5 yards in 1 minute?? That sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!