Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, February 7, 2016

February SAL...

...How perfect...Aunt Reen is offering a well timed SAL for February - often a snowy month for those of us in Wisconsin. Beginning today, February 7th, Doreen will post instructions for The Big Leap! Every Sunday throughout February, new directions will be posted on her blog. I love that we will have a completed quilt top by the end of the month (this being a Leap Year with an extra day).

We are using a jelly roll and 5 1/2 yards background for the large quilt or a partial jelly roll and 3 1/2 yards background for the smaller lap size.

I have decided to go with the smaller size and hopefully add borders - here is why!

About 2 - 3 years ago, I won this gorgeous jelly roll from Barbara Brackman - the collection is Lately Arrived From London.

My background, from our LQS, is P & B Textiles Bella Suede - isn't it well named? Soft, subtle and oh so lovely. Just a hint of floral design...

After winning the jelly roll, I added some yardage from the same collection - among the pieces on my shelf is this butterscotch pillar print which is calling out to be used in the border - problem? Only 2 yards - what was I thinking? I believe I have found 2 sources for additional yardage - hoping the quilting fairies are looking out for me! (Note to self - buy a minimum of 3 yards in future)

So that is the plan - and now off to start cutting - the February clock is ticking - good thing this is a Leap Year...in a quilter's world, an extra day really helps!

Pat

 

10 comments:

  1. Oooh I wish I was a quilter. This sounds like a lot of fun, and I love the idea of getting something BIG and FUN done at this time of year. I hope you'll post lots along the way so that I get to quilt 'vicariously' through you!
    So nice to see a post from you, Pat. Thank you for your warm and encouraging note. It is so affirming to hear that others are going through or have gone through the same things with their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Pat. I love your choices of fabrics. I, too, have been accused of never buying enough fabric. I am trying to get better about that. I have thought hard about jumping in on this project. I love Irish chains, but I am so far behind on everything else. I will be watching your progress and looking forward to your end results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great jelly roll to be using and your pillar print is awesome. Hope you find more. I've cut myself short on occasions too. I'm thinking about joining in by cutting some 2.5" strips. We'll see. Shouldn't be a problem with an extra day. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabrics you've chosen are gorgeous for your Big Leap quilt!
    And that pillar fabric is just stunning.
    Crossing my fingers you are able to find more of that wonderful background fabric.
    Either way, I see a beautiful quilt in the works.
    Thank you for sewing along with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that line of fabric--should be a lovely quilt.
    There were many pillar prints shown during Barbara Brackman's recent Stars in a Time Warp SAL, but this has got to be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This butterscotch and the other fabrics are just gorgeous ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately Arrived is one of my favorite fabrics lines...ever! So pretty. Your quilt will be wonderful. Doreen does excellent instructions so I'm sure you will enjoy the project!
    Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful piece of fabric. I never seem to buy the right amount and am always searching the internet for more.
    I hope you have success.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!