Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Big Leap to the borders...

 

So here is the top for The Big Leap...

...And I have dilemma...

I mentioned earlier about wanting to use this pillar print for a border....(late night update - a good suggestion from 2 of my visitors...show the border yardage next to the top - lighting is not good & my sewing room is small but should give you an idea - thank you Janet & Mimi for suggesting this! )

As much as I love it and want to find an appropriate place for it.. Where would you cut it?

Then...should the floral areas be sliced up? Sure don't want to make a wider border?? It just seems to be fighting with the quilt top right now...despite the coordinating jelly roll collection from Lately Arrived From London, the companion print just looks different.

Maybe this quilt should remain borderless?

Any suggestions are very welcomed....

Pat

 

11 comments:

  1. Okay, without seeing the pillar print actually folded to size and hanging next to the quilt, it is hard to make a judgement call on the border. I THINK it would look fine to slice the flowers. I also thing the quilt looks good without a border, but only you can see the border print next to the quilt and make the call as to what you think looks best. Some help, huh? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - no quilter am I, but I have a thing about pattern. It seems a shame to slice the flowers - it would be something that would draw my eye all the time. If it were mine, it would remain borderless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, would like to see the border next to the quilt; although the center could remain borderless, too. By the way.....love the new header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like we all need a photo of the border and the quilt side by side. My initial thought is the border almost seems too strong for the quilt. But that's without seeing them together it's hard to tell. The Irish chain is warm and vintage looking. Great job! Love your new header too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The antique pillars were often cut down the middle, the middle of the pillar, lowers or ??. Some were symmetrical though. Consider just bordering three sides too. I might try folding the pillar portion in half and placing it along the pieced blocks leaving one strip of the flowers full. So many options...It is a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't be much help, I like borderless. So simple and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you try a small first border (1") to stop the chain action across the quilt. Then the border fabric maybe just past the flowers but before the pillar starts...Jan M. ( using John's acct for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Big Leap quilt top looks amazing!
    Such beautiful fabric choices and colors....
    Your border fabric is gorgeous, I'm sure it will look fabulous whatever you decide.

    I also love your new Header, I'm swooning over that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can picture the quilt using the pillar print you show. Will look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like it borderless. Save your other fabric for just the right quilt. I would hate to see those flowers cut up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I like it borderless, It’s really hard to choose so I guess I am no help at all.
    I do really love your new header showing your Polka dot Garden quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!