Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Monday, December 4, 2017

A magical light...

A few weeks ago, shortly after dinner, our son took all the pups outside...he immediately came back in and said...”Now...go outside now!...” Wondering what was going on, we all headed out the door...and stopped immediately - eyes fixed to the North...





What a wonder - the Northern Lights danced and wove their way across the sky. The display lasted for the longest time - my husband wrapped his jacket around me (he was the only one who thought to grap a coat on the way out). I wrapped my arms around our daughter-in-law - her teeth were chattering! The night air was chilly but we continued to be mesmerized by the constant movement. I can’t remember our son having a jacket on - he was so wrapped up in capturing the moment with his camera which he had mounted on his tripod...we would glance over at him as he calmly adjusted settings and exposure...watching Dave with a camera is an experience that stands alone...we think he has a gift. He tells us the camera can “see” all the colors of the Northern Lights that humans cannot with the naked eye. While we “saw” primarily green, there was so much more in the spectrum...

Our son walked over to the southeast side of our home and got the image that appears in my new header...

As the lights slowly faded from our view and we headed back into the house, my thoughts were of the many adventures we have had in Alaska but never saw their Aurora show...

I had to return home to see this magical light...

Pat


(Both photos used with the permission of our son, David Ryan Taylor - to see a few of his Alaskan images, including Aurora - visit https://www.thealaskalife.com/blog/featured-photographerdavid-ryan-taylor/

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, this thrilled me!!
    I saw a show of the Northern Lights as a child. Very rare to see a good one in this area. But they have fascinated me ever since. We have had a couple of mild displays since then, but nothing this spectacular. I stay up late and watch whenever there is the slightest chance we will be able to see them. I dream of going somewhere that I can see something like you experienced someday.
    When my sons went to Iceland a few years ago they saw s display and got some photos, but I think your view was even better. You lucky gal! Think if your son hadn't taken out the pups and this had gone on outside your door and you had missed it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a truly magical moment. I've never had the opportunity to see this light show in person. Your son's photos are spectacular. Thanks so much for both of you sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some fantastic photos! Just once several years ago one of our neighbors called and told us to go outside. It was summertime and the lights from the northern lights cast shadows of all the trees around us. It was almost like being Beetlejuice in his little imaginary city. Our world is a wondrous place; and I have to say experiencing something so beautiful brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your (your son's) beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.m.gosh..... such an amazing site to see!
    Your son captured the sky so vividly with his camera skills.
    Thank you for sharing this rare occurrence with us.
    Truly a special way to begin the Holiday Season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magical indeed! I've never experienced the Northern Lights but what a treat it must have been to see this spectacular show! Your son really captured them with his expert photography :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!