Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Of books and days at home...

For those of us who live in the more northerly parts of the country, the months of January, February and March are usually about staying snug at home by the fire with occasional bundled up trips out to replenish the pantry or meet up with stitching friends...
The home becomes the center of our days...soups or stews slowly bubbling on the stove, the coffee pot full and if you are like me, a cupboard filled with quilting projects to choose from...
The cold and snowy days are also welcomed when books can be enjoyed to their fullest. My wish list usually consists of quilt history/textile books...and thanks to my family at Christmas, the quilting library has gained 3 new titles...
Two gorgeous Quiltmania publications - the first one a recommendation from Di Ford...
And...
The third book is also a beauty - more Chintz quilts and history...
No patterns in this trio, but so much inspiration and with a magnifying glass nearby, a great study in early fabrics...
When not curled up with one of these books, my list of 18 in 2018 is active - #1 is those paper pieced houses from 2012.




All the scraps I am using are separated into those 3 bins... Frankly, I want to wrap this project up - looking at those bins for this long has made me tired!
But - confession time...just could not resist doing a test drive on the first Brimfield Awakening block project from Paper Pieces. (A special Christmas gift from Mr. Outback!) You can make these blocks with lots going on - the papers have perforated lines for different fabrics in each unit or you can treat the unit as one piece.
Because so many other of my things going on involve scraps and/or many fabrics, it is nice to have something that is more controlled...
A French General background and a little fussy cutting bring a calmness to my handwork...
Hoping each of you have your projects for this new year organized and in the works...and if anyone is in a warm climate near a beach...wiggle your toes in the sand for those of us in the far north...
Pat

10 comments:

  1. Ah, your people know you well! Those look like wonderful books! I think we quilters all think alike in January, soups and stews, sitting in a warm room quilting, and enjoying some new quilting books. And maybe thinking about spring - just a little bit! I love that quilt block in your last photo too, so pretty all by itself, and it will make a gorgeous quilt with those lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any of the Quiltmania books that you added to your library but have a couple others. They have wonderful photography and are so worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were well taken care of at Christmas, it appears. Great new books, and a fun new project for you!
    I didn't know those houses could be foundation pieced! I only made a dozen, but they were hand stitched, and I really struggled with the Y-seams. Foundation piecing makes sense. Now I want to draw a foundation and try another one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to spend cold winter days. You've added some great books to your library. Quiltmania books are so well done. Do I see some "vintage" Debbie Mumm fabric in your house block! Your new project is fantastic. I love what you're using for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful books! Do you ‘drop’ hints before Christmas? Love those little houses, and a great idea to orangize your scraps. Beautiful Brimfield block. Doesn’t a warm, sandy beach sound good right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful books! Do you ‘drop’ hints before Christmas? Love your little house block. That is a great way to organize your scraps. Beautiful Brimfield block. Doesn’t a warm, sandy beach sound good right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your work is lovely! I own the second book you list. All those quilts are in Kansas City but one needs to make an appointment to see the quilts. Nice books! I love to leisurely go thru such books just to see the beauty of all the quilts. I can picture you curled up by your woodstove with snow outside, maybe a cup of cocoa, content with your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely projects. Are you really going to get 18 projects done this year? I wish you luck. I end up making new projects rather than getting the ones on my list all done. Of course, it all keeps us happy. So....enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you when it comes to quilt books and history. Calico & Chintz is my all-time favorite and have reproduced about 5 quilts from that book. Love your new Brimfield block and the fabrics you've chosen. Such a sweet little house block, too. Have fun on these cold winter days and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some nice choices for winter days. Enjoy every page and every stitch!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!