Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, November 4, 2018

OMG for November...and Retreat...

Here I go again...linking up with Patty at her One Monthly Goal ...I am jumping in to join her OMG link for November. So to start off, my goal for this month is opening up another UFO bin...this project dates back to 2008 - 10 years ago...all the redwork blocks have been embroidered for quite a while but the alternating pieced blocks had not been started.


The overall quilt will be based on the classic Irish Chain. After finishing the embroidery, I realized there was no more muslin left to complete the top and could not find any when shopping...what to do? Thankfully my friend suggested the little cream and red shirting. That yardage joined the embroidered blocks and Kona solid red and disappeared into the back of the quilting cave.


While at Retreat the past 5 days, I pieced all the 9 patch units and cut the squares that make up the 9” finished alternating blocks. During the next few weeks, my goal is to complete the pieced blocks and hopefully (big hopefully there!!) get the top together. We shall see...
As for my October OMG, as mentioned in the last post, the goal of piecing all those tiny 9 patch units was met, so off I went to our Annual Fall Retreat determined to join everything together for a completed top...
This is the result...50 X 59 - Settler’s Trail by Primitive Gatherings...


The backing and binding fabric has been waiting for 8 years...now, I just need to get it machine quilted and I think an overall, easy uncomplicated pattern will be the best choice...
Our Retreat of 5 days was wonderful - being with friends I don’t get to see often enough and all the sharing, catching up, inspiration that goes with that...we had such a good time and I feel refreshed and charged up! Our first night fell on Halloween, so there were some costumes...witches, a wood sprite, a masked quilter with a cute vest and a whoopie cushion!

Oh...and a T-Rex...(that is yours truly underneath that)

We sewed, laughed, shared wine and snacks and caught up with each other...took some beautiful walks in the woods as where we stay has terrific trails for hiking...everything a Retreat should be.
This morning we woke to a fine, gentle snowfall...

Not really ready for this kind of weather...
And apparently my car was not either...it is only a year old and yet when I tried to start it to load everything up...nothing happened...Mr. Outback drove up with our truck (we are only about 1/2 hour away) and attempted to jump start it, but no luck...it was towed this afternoon to our dealership and we must wait until tomorrow to find out anything more. Still under warranty, but it is a worry and I love my red car so much...
The drive home...

I much prefer the day before when we walk through all the fallen leaves, enjoyed the fragrance of the evergreens and felt the sun’s warmth.

Happy stitching everyone!
Pat

13 comments:

  1. so much snow! hope your car will be ok - love that quilt with all the little squares

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what wonderful quilts. Love the redwork blocks and the setting will be beautiful. I like the combination of the muslin and the print. Then Settler's Trail is unbelievable. It's a true labor of love. You make a fabulous T Rex!! Good luck with your OMG's. You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love....both of your quilts! They are beautiful. Just curious though...how'd you sew with that costume on? ;D Ugh....don't want to see the snow. Sure hope they figure out why your car wouldn't start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those quilts are so very lovely, and all those tiny squares! I hope your little red car is back on the road very soon, I know what you mean, little red cars are perfect for us, I'd hate to have to go back to driving the big hulking Buick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty redwork blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love redwork quilt. Your embroidery is beautiful.The quilt is going to be stunning. I also love your Settler's Trail. It is just wonderful. All those little squares are mind blogging to me. Hoping your car issues get resolved. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your redwork is wonderful, and I love the blocks that will go with them. I saved a redwork quilt pattern in 2004 and still have the magazine. Someday! Your Settler's Trail is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red print shirting is a lovely touch! That will be a beautiful quilt.
    I adore your P. G. quilt. So many little squares. Kudos to you on getting it all put together! The effect is magical. :)
    My grandson wore a T-Rex costume like that. You wear it very well. LOL
    Oh, that doesn't look like a fun drive home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful time you had at the retreat (and I hope your car will be fine in the end too) and you were quite productive as well! Love the redwork blocks and joined like an Irish chain is just perfect! And all those tiny squares...amazing!
    Hope you have many more sunny autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a lot of stitching and a lot of fun was had at retreat! Love your costume and especially that Settler's Trail quilt - wow!
    From Wendy Caton Reed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful and productive retreat! I love your projects. I am presently finishing redwork blocks, haven’t a clue how to finish them off. Happy Stitching you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your redwork blocks are interesting. I like the eagle. I do not have Laurene's book and think I may order it. Your Settler's Trail is oh so wonderful. So many little pieces.

    ReplyDelete


  13. Love those embroidered blocks and the shirting fabric is perfect. Sounds like you had a great retreat. Congrats on getting Settler's Trail sewn together. It's fantastic! So many little squares. Looks like T-Rex had a lot of fun :)
    From Barbara Shaffer

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!