Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

January OMG - Brrrrr.....

Here it is - January 30, 2019 - at the edge of the Wisconsin northwoods we are in the heart of the Polar Vortex. As I write, it is -23 below and wind chill factor is off the charts...

I have just met my January OMG - https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2019/01/one-monthly-goal-january-finish-link-up.html  With a color palette of numerous Invisifil threads, doing a tiny zig zag stitch around all the raw edges, the blocks for Old Glory (Blackbird Designs) are done. 






The main blocks are now finished except for adding berries and doing some embroidery. This project is a combination of machine and hand work. The berries/circles are made by using Karen Kay Buckley’s Perfect Circles - my go to method. Still have to make a bunch of those...
Have also decided to simplify a few of the blocks and eliminate some of leaves, etc. - and rather than “appliqueing” tiny stars, will embroider them. 
There is still much to do on this - lots of scallops in the border, and then ultimately layering and machine quilting. I miss my hand work and am itching to return to that...like those very current “squirrel” moments, I get distracted very quickly...

Have just received this adorable pattern from Lynn over at Sew’n Wild Oaks Quilting - check out her Etsy shop - so many temptations there!




There is a bin of leftover 1” strips from my Settler’s Trail quilt which will be perfect for piecing log cabins and more mini 9 patches...this quilt finishes to 31” X 31” - perfect for centering on our dining room table.





Motivation for quilting during January kind of dropped away - not sure why except to think with the super cold temperatures, all I can focus on is deciding on how many layers to dress in...

Stay warm out there and if you live in a warmer climate, would you be willing to share? 

Happy stitching everyone!

Pat


8 comments:

  1. Oh you will have a ball with Lynne's pattern. I love that quilt and those little pieces will keep you warm as you run them through the machine! I LOVE the winters in Maine, especially on the weekends when I can hunker down and sew. I'm looking forward to watching your quilt grow with thoughts of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 8 degrees outside here right now, so I guess that is comparatively warm. :)
    Your blocks are lovely. I don't applique, but this actually borders on tempting me, and that is saying a LOT!
    LOVE that Cute As A Button pattern--it truly lives up to its name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good day to stay home and sew. Keep the iron on for some extra heat in the sewing room. The pile of strings will look good with the background piece you show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably said before Old Glory is one of my favorite patterns. So glad you are on the homestretch. I used wool for those tiny pieces. I didn't want to fiddle with them. It got to a balmy 40 degrees here today. Just keep adding on the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful blocks and love the color palette for the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are now at -8, positively warm compared with you folks. That's a sweet little pattern from Lynne, and a wonderful selection of fabric strips to work with. Stay warm and quilt is my Vortex slogan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love everything you chose to make. I for one wish I was one of those in a warmer climate. I am one who wonders how many layers of clothes I can wear in the house just to keep semi-warm. Although I hear that very soon it will be 60* out. That will be a 80* increase from what it is today. Congrats on meeting your January goals.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!