Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cheddar Quilts - Part 2

 Finally was able to post Part 2 of the Cheddar Quilts - our internet has been down since late afternoon yesterday. Sometimes I wish it wasn't so convenient, but when it is unavailable - I start to whine...so, anyway, back to more quilts featuring cheddar fabric...





ROSE WREATH - 1860 - IOWA (ESTATE OF THE HICKEY FAMILY)




FORGOT TO GET THE INFORMATION ON THIS QUILT - NOTE THE CLOSELY SPACED HANDQUILTING AND THE FEATHERS USED ALONG EACH SEAM LINE

SUNBURST, WHEEL OF FORTUNE VARIATION C 1855 - NORTH CAROLINA?

WE WERE TOLD THAT ROUNDED CORNERS SOMETIMES INDICATE A SOUTHERN MADE QUILT.




ALTHOUGH THE QUILT WAS MADE C 1855, THE BORDER FABRIC DATES TO EARLIER IN THE 1800'S - THE QUILTER PULLED FROM HER STASH!


LOG CABIN - STRAIGHT FURROWS - C 1880 FROM HARRISBURG, VIRGINIA - MENNONITE?


COMPASS  POINTS/MARINERS COMPASS (480 POINTS!)

The rest of the photos were taken during the presentation of an antique quilt and the reproduction quilt that was made by our Liberty Ladies group. Geri owned the antique quilt and, both were donated to the museum. The original quilt was made by a group of ladies in Illinois for a shoe store competition and promotion. Fabrics were chosen which closely duplicate the antique quilt. The museum plans to hang both later this year and our group hopes to visit again and have our picture taken next to the quilts. 
GERI

(A LITTLE BLURRY) WE EACH WORKED FROM A PAPER PATTERN LIKE THIS.

THE ORIGINAL QUILT - HAND APPLIQUED AND ECHO QUILTED

THIS BLOCK WAS "SIGNED" BY THE INDIVIDUAL WITH THE NAME OF "PLOW (OR PLOUGH) EVEN THOUGH INSTRUCTED NOT TO SIGN THEIR NAME ON THE BLOCK. THE DARK BROWN FABRIC HAS ALMOST DISAPPEARED DUE TO THE ORIGINAL HARSH DIES THAT WERE USED.



SIDE BY SIDE - THE ORIGINAL IN FRONT AND THE REPRODUCTION TO THE BACK.
 Hope you found this visit interesting. If you have the opportunity to visit the Museum, treat yourself! It is well worth it. 


I will leave you with a beautiful link - Judy over at Shade Tree Quilting has posted this - words of wisdom from a lady who is 90.

http://www.shadetreequilting.com/2012/05/life-lessons-from-wonderful-woman.html

Have a good rest of the week - and thank you for dropping by! I really enjoy reading all your comments.

 

11 comments:

  1. That was interesting - I wonder what made the person 'sign' the quilt square?
    I went to the link and read the 45 things - very timely for me!
    Thank you for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are wonderful - and to have worked on this project must have been so gratifying for you. I feel as if I just had a quilt show. You sure have the applique process down, Pat and have a wonderful day. Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the lovely show and tell. Looks like a great place to visit.
    I love the 2 applque' quilts best - of course.
    Thanks for posting the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The applique quilt at the end of the post interests me very much. My kind of style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, thanks for sharing, I knew there was a reason I bought 5 more yards of cheddar last Saturday! Now I must pop over for the words of wisdom. Great photos, gets the mind running with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I love all of these, the sunburst pattern just made me oooh and awwwww a tiny bit extra!

    Hope your Mothers Day was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing those quilts. Just fabulous and I so admire the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your two posts were such a treat! Now to find some cheddar fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discovered your blog. I hope to get to the Cedarburg and visit the museum this year. The pictures you shared are great. I will go back and read more of your blog. I am in Wausau. Where are you?
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just learned of your two posts about the exhibit, and enjoyed both posts. Thank you for sharing the exhibit with those of us who live too far away to visit. Living in southeastern PA, I'm very partial to PA Dutch quilts, and we really do consider cheddar to be a neutral -- to be used with abandon. So glad Carol shared her quilts. She has wonderful examples of the quilting tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another feast for the eyes. What a great event for you and I appreciate you sharing your photos with us. I love Wisconsin for its quilt shops. Now, I need to investigate its quilt museums, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!