Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Thursday, April 17, 2014

A summer heart...

... is a good thing to have on a cold, snowy April morning. Winter refuses to release its grip on us here at Taylorsoutback. Each morning I hopefully peek out the window; will it be greening grasses and budding trees or look more like this...

I jokingly told Mr. Outback this morning - let's sell the house, find an uncomplicated place to live in Arizona during the winter months and spend our summers in Valdez or Talkeetna, Alaska. He just laughed - but it works for me!

(Although - Our kids in Wasilla have experienced a very mild winter with little snow - hmmmm...go figure)

When you are housebound, the mind can wander into uncharted territory - while cleaning out more closets, drawers, continued decluttering and prioritizing 30+ years of accumulated quilting/sewing "stuff". My sewing room is beginning to feel somewhat lighter as I zero in on what really has captured my heart...moving more towards handwork and enjoying a slower approach...

Di Ford's 2014 Mystery Quilt - appliqueing the little circles on the current Part 2 Border...

Keeping up with the Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt blocks...#4

And more quilting on the Cherry Tree quilt...

All while waiting for the snow to go away and having my Winter heart thaw out...

Pat



 

11 comments:

  1. It does sound like you are well and truely over winter and snow - I hope it 'springs' up soon. The projects you are working on are all lovely. Your slower approach will have wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have some gorgeous projects to work on while you wait for summer. Maybe you should join me here for a holiday in far North Queensland where it's very tropical! It's a good thing to think honestly about your cupboards and their contents.....sounds like you will be ready for Spring when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Spring shows up there soon!
    In the meantime, you have some lovely projects going.
    Handwork is very satisfying. I wish I was more patient with it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have so many projects in the works. I admire your artistic capabilities and the beautiful quilts you make. Maybe I need some snow to get me to finish up a quilt I have had for so many years now. Here in CA working in the garden year-round keeps me outdoors on most days. I sure hope the winter cold ends for you soon, that way you can quilt outdoors on a sunny day. Sending warms sunshine from CA your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your heart is summer warm and you're focusing in on the projects that you love. I might have to change my approach to the appliquéd circles for Di's quilt and do it like yours and piece the border first and then center the circles. I'm afraid I'd be really bummed if the border didn't fit and I'd have to do the circles again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you are still dealing with Snow! I really hope that Spring arrives soon!

    Just love how your Di Ford quilt is coming along - gorgeous!
    Ben Biggs is a beauty too.

    Your Beyond the Cherry Trees is quilting up so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, here in MI, we had snow for a couple days this past week so I can relate, but to still have snow, I feel for you. Then again, what you are accomplishing is amazingly beautiful. Love looking at all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honey, I have nothing to complain about except that my hands hurt from clipping dead wood off herbs! Praying for sunny days for you and Mr. Outback! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pat, we are still waiting for the snow to go and for it to warm up. Today was very cold and windy. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day and a Happy Easter. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. your quilted circles look great! I was saying yesterday, I feel like all i've don is complain about the long hard winter! Spring is just too long in coming this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your weather is a bit warmer today. Love all your hand stitched projects. You have a lovely way of putting colors together.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!