Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Thursday, September 25, 2014

In search of the perfect needle.....

...since trying to learn applique, different needles have been added to my notions drawer(s!) but have stuck with Jeanna Kimball's #11 straw needles for quite awhile. Our LQS now carries the Tulip/Hiroshima needles and I just had to give them a go...

 

The little tube inside the very pretty packaging holds 6 needles. (Presentation grabs a quilter easily!) So far, the actual needle (size 10) is really nice...it does have a different feel to it - as you can see in the picture, it is slightly shorter then the #11 - but it works through the fabric with a very fine, sharp point. It is not as flexible as the Jeanna Kimball needles - which I tend to bend quickly. One advantage for those of us with aging vision, is that the eye is a tad larger and makes for easier threading...I also purchased the hand quilting needles but have not tried them yet - will share my thoughts on those soon. (Excuse my clumsy effort at trying a collage!)

Do you get drawn to quilts that feature eagles? I sure do and have had this simmering on the back burner way too long...

Three eagles, partially appliqued, partially basted and all the fabric pulled from my stash to make Old Glory from Blackbird Designs....

....when I saw Kyle's at Timeless Reflections completed version here it kickstarted this project again - so am determined to have these 3 eagles take flight by July, 2015. To help keep my focus, I have joined this online group that features Eagle quilts. Bet we will be seeing some wonderful projects along the way. So check out Angie and Audrey's blog Quilt Like An Eagle.

That's it for now at Taylorsoutback - the gardens are winding down as the last of the carrots are being pulled and the sewing room is busy making some gifts for someone special....

Enjoy these Autumn days or the arrival of Spring for those of you Down Under!

Pat

 

12 comments:

  1. The right needle can make all the difference......although it still makes me laugh how particular I am about which ones I use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my favorite quilts. Thanks for sharing my version. Hope you get your eagles done soon. I tend to use just a size 10 between for appliquéing and stitching etc. I have some of the tulip needles but haven't used them yet. Now I might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for mentioning these needles. I am always on the look out for the 'perfect' needle. That is a great quilt. I love your eagles! Your version will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a wonderful quilt! Your eagles look good so far. Look forward to following your progress. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you join us with the Eagle quilting! Yours is looking wonderful. Love your applique.:) I use the Scarlet Lady applique needles and just LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I meant to write Scarlet Today needles.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great eagle pattern. I love to try all new needles! I too have enjoyed the Tulip needles.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought some of those Tulip/Hiroshima needles to try but I think I still prefer the Clover Black gold #12 needles.
    Great eagle quilt. Good luck with getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank your for sharing your experience with those new needles! I too prefer bigger eyes for threading these days.

    I love your Eagles - what a wonderful quilt this will be!

    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting needles. I like a straw needle but am not particular as to which brand. At least not unhappy with the two brands I have tried. Can't speak for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say Pat was that applique was my downfall as far as quilting goes! Hope you have success with your new needles! I think the real fall weather is coming over the weekend! Take care and enjoy your stitching! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use my betweens that I quilt with for applique....lol I think that I did buy applique needles originally but couldn't thread them so since I was used to the hand quilting needles anyway I thought 'why not'? :)

    I really like that eagle pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!