Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Monday, July 6, 2015

Of books and quilts....

....and pea vines tied up with string...these are a few of my favorite things....

Belonging to a quilt history study group for a number of years has brought me so much - friendships, attending events that focus on our state's history, quilting techniques and oh my - the sharing of quilt history is incredible. With 14 of us, we take turns presenting brief talks focusing on a particular aspect - right now we are following along with Barbara Brackman's weekly fabric choice. Cheddar, conversation prints, foulards, stripes and indigo - all these fabrics and more have become part of our vocabulary and given each of us a renewed appreciation for our own stash. An extra benefit is the sharing of books - someone brings a reference book as part of their presentation and if we don't own it, you can bet Amazon (I found a used book there - great condition) or eBay gets a quick visit! This is the newest addition to my own library -

Published in 1991, this reference book is perfect for anyone interested in vintage fabrics....

As for quilts...my Mountmellick Mystery quilt is officially finished - binding and all...

Not being a fancy machine quilter, I stuck to stippling, straight line and gentle curves machine quilting.

The bottom photo is of the backing - and I now know, thanks to that great book mentioned above, the reproduction print is called a cameo layout style of fabric.

And those pea vines tied up with string? There are 3 varieties in the garden now - shell peas, snow peas and these - Sugar Snap Peas - now over my head in height....perfect growing conditions!

And our group is off to the Paine Art Center in Oshkosh to see the exquisite clothing exhibit from Downton Abbey and...wait for it...a stop at Lisa Bongean's Primitive Gatherings in Menasha. More of my favorite things...

Wishing you a week enjoying your favorite things...

Pat

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Fresh peas, a Gorgeous finished quilt, and a stop at Primitive Gatherings--does it get any better?
    You did a fantastic job on the Mystery quilt. Just beautiful!
    I really like the look of that book--may have to stop by Amazon myself.
    Probably will never make it to a Primitive Gatherings shop, but I am signed up for a class and trunk show from Lisa this September. Looking forward to that.
    Enjoy your trip! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know, I got the book for $15.00, and that included shipping. WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I love everything about your post. The garden, the little trips you will be taking and what a lovely quilt you have been working on. That one looks like it will be cherished for a very long time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So many favorite things. Your Montmellick quilt is awesome and is a quilt to be treasured. The quilting was perfect. It let the design and the fabrics be the stars. I love what you chose for the backing. And then your field trip sounds like so much fun. Enjoy every minute and have fun shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with your quilted finish - I like the way you have allowed the applique to pop up from the stippled background. Great book - I'd like a yard of each of those fabrics! Sounds like a great group and great outings - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with the quilting ... it is beautiful and allows that fabulous piecing to take center stage. I would love to plant peas in our garden, but I can't get my hubby to agree. And that trip to Primitive Gatherings ... I'm jealous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Montmellick is a beautiful finish, and your quilting suits it perfectly. Intriguing new book, it must be fun to discover quilt history together. Enjoy your outing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your beautiful finish! The stitching is a wonderful complement to your quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your finished Montmellick. You have inspired me to finish mine and quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Congrats on the finish. Quilting looks lovely. I've never seen that book. Looks like a good one. I'm sorry to say I haven't been keeping up with BB's weekly fabric descriptions. My loss. Enjoy your trip to the museum and quilt shop. Sure it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Mystery Quilt is so fantastic - gives me a bit of encouragement to continue my version - which is still in very early stages.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Thoughts from TaylorsOutback" has been included in our Sites To See #448. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/07/sites-to-see-448.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!