Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Two years ago....

....in a galaxy, far, far away called Taylorsoutback...I decided to jump in with other quilters and begin appliqueing the first of 25 reproduction blocks that made up the Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt (c.1848) In case you are not familiar with this particular quilt, one block was offered each month by Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches and Brenda Papadakis of Dear Jane.

In December we received the final 2 blocks. The pattern for the borders had been downloaded previously. Everything has been filed in this binder - it helps to keep me focused.

These are my final 5 blocks which were not posted about before.

And here are all the blocks completed and sewn together...it will finish to 100 x 100 and go on our king size bed...

The first border is marked for back basting and soon I will begin there...

Border strips cut and waiting...

This is what is left of 2 full bolts for background & blue and original 3 yards of the red.

I continue to learn about applique and also about appropriate fabrics. As much as I love the red chintz (Portobello Market by 3 Sisters/Moda) the thread count/heavier cotton made for some squirrely needle turning. However, I wanted a random, vintage fabric look, so think that it worked out okay.

Next time I post about this, hopefully it will be to share a finish -

Meanwhile, taking a break and doing some more quilting on Beyond the Cherry Tree - would love to have it wrapped up later this year...besides it is cozy when the outside temperature sits at -0 during the day...

Wishing each of you hours of happy stitching...

Pat

 

14 comments:

  1. WOW! That is one big beautiful quilt and that backing fabric is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pulled out my BTCT today and stitched on it. Set up a blog post about hand quilting for mid week. Lori has pulled hers out again too. Let's keep at this one and get it finished! Love your BB, I bailed after first block. Have you seen her latest sampler? I have printed patterns but not committed to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your appliqué quilt is gorgeous. I love the background color. It's amazing how much fabric you used and luckily you had enough. Better too much than too less. Sounds like the cold temps made a great day for handquilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see the BTCT quilting as I have also enjoyed seeing Lori's work on this gorgeous pattern.Your Ben Biggs looks great on the bed doesn't it?! I still think the border is the nicest part of this project and am enjoying the applique on mine now too. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cannot wait to see your BTCT quilt finished. It will be gorgeous. Your BB quilt is lovely, too. I don't know that I could have done another two-year-long quilt but I will admire yours for sure,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both quilts will become heirlooms! Absolutely gorgeous!! So worth the extra time...ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two amazing projects. I admire the tenacity it takes to do a huge, heirloom applique quilt and then hand quilt it. Wonderful work, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful Pat. So much love and attention sewn into your BB. I know what you mean about appliqueing that fabric, but it is a lovely fabric combination you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fabric choices for the Benjamin Biggs quilt. It is coming together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your BB quilt. The fabrics you chose make it especially beautiful. I stitched my final block last night .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful, Pat. I completely understand you choice of the red - it is gorgeous. What an accomplishment this quilt is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful,projects. Those are two very large quilts!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilts are amazing to me. I envy those who do applique. I have yet to really give it an honest try. Maybe someday. For now I enjoy seeing works like yours. They will be truly family treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!