Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Instead of quilting...

...Fall at Taylorsoutback always means garden and yard cleanup - prepping for our long winter months which will soon arrive...

Five out of six raised garden beds in the back always get attention - I love being able to go out the next Spring having clean beds and get right at the sowing and planting and it means a much healthier environment for growing. Bed #6 has been a thorn in my side for many years - old raspberry plants which were no longer offering up more than a bowl of berries if we were lucky; tall grasses and weeds were choking out everything. 

As soon as cool weather arrived I put aside my old leather thimble and donned my old leather gloves...







When these pictures were taken a week ago, only a few feet of area had been cleared...happy to report the entire bed is now free of old plantings and invasive weeds...next Spring, fresh soil will be added and that tall crop of asparagus you see in the one photo will be divided up and moved to their new
home...so much more productive and easier to maintain...yum! I can taste fresh asparagus on the grill
as we speak!
In the meantime...the temperature continues to drop, a fire is going and the sewing room is calling...I can go there for a while, knowing those raised garden beds are tucked in for the winter - well...there is a short row of Flashy Trout Heirloom lettuce that looks very tasty...

Pat



7 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel very neglectful when I read this. Hubby pulled up the cuke, tomato, pepper, and basil plants today, but I need to dig up the carrots, and annual flowers, and bed down the roses and raspberries. Never seems to be enough time. Dug up and separated my bulbs and rhizomes this summer and still haven't put them back in the ground, either. Do you hire out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good job done! Yes, I think you can in good conscience get back into the sewing room. Enjoy.

    Now if I could just get my DH to realize how nice it would be to have raised vegetable beds. Hmmm...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall cleanup certainly does make spring planting easier. iIt's like cleaning up the sewing room before you begin another. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to have those garden beds so neat & tidy. A blank slate to dream & plan for next spring. I hope you enjoy some time to sew now that the yard work is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't envy you the outdoor jobs you have been doing. I do not have a green thumb nor a desire to learn how to but certainly enjoy seeing what others do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are expecting snow in the morning, it will melt in time for some bulb planting next week.
    Your yard and gardens are so beautiful. Raised beds look about the height for deer!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos in the header. I had a collie when I was young and named her Lassie. Your raised beds look so neat and clean and ready for next year's plantings! It must feel so good to have that job done :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!