Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Folk Art Journey finish!

Back in January I posted a story about a very long ago UFO - you can read about it here...

That quilt has now reached its completion...I had finished the borders and was chatting back and forth with Mimi’s Passions who lives “a few miles” away from Wisconsin and does some really lovely long arm machine quilting. I sent it off mid-February and received it back last week...look at the wonderful McTavishing...and for really close up photos (I have problems getting clearer images) hop over to her POST showing the blocks...the textures she has created really enhance the quilt.

I am so pleased with how everything turned out. This is truly a special project involving 2 quilters in different states and a very gifted group of Hmong immigrants - all working on an antique-inspired American folk art quilt. There are no language or cultural barriers when a group of women bond with needle and thread.

Happy stitching everyone and have a good week.

Pat

11 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous quilt, and your quilter did a fabulous job with the quilting. I'd love to learn how to do McTavishing on my DSM someday, it is such a beautiful background motif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, your quilt is incredibly beautiful. I did hop over to Mimi's blog to see the quilting close up. The quilting is gorgeous, but still let's the applique designs be the stars. It's a lovely finish and will be nice to cross off your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made some of the blocks that are in your quilt but for a different quilt along with other block designs. You have a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pat. I've seen this quilt up close and personal, but to see it totally finished with the binding makes it even more impressive. You have one beautiful quilt there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love how this quilt has become! The applique is so beautiful done, as well is the quilting by Mimi (and now I know how "McTavishing" looks, because I never heard this term before; a wonderful quiltingpattern!). I enjoyed taking a look on Mimi's blog as well and reading about this "lady-eagle-thing". The quilt is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Mimi's photos of the quilting show just how lovely the finish is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just thought I would mention here for those who are not familiar with McTavishing. Karen McTavish is an APQS retailer and long time longarm quilter who is quite well known in the quilt world. She came up with this type of quilting called McTavishing (named by the powers that be) although what she really wanted to call it was "long, wavy hair". That name apparently didn't fly. If you ever get the chance to take a class from her, I would say it is well worth it. She's so much fun and a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful finish!!! :) It is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful! I love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I saw it over on Mimi's blog and it's so lovely! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a very special and beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!