Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt officially finished....

Yea!! Another huge project can now be checked off as Done! If you are familiar with Gay Bomers over at Sentimental Stitches, you know how she so often tempts us with BOM quilts that either are taken directly from an antique quilt or inspired by one. I have fallen victim a number of times starting back in 2009 with her Beyond The Cherry Tree. And then in 2014, came the c.1848 Benjamin Biggs Wedding quilt. Another approximately 100 x 100 quilt consisting of 25 blocks and scalloped border, I finished the top in 2017 and just recently received it back from the long arm quilter. After handquilting BTCT, my hands could not tackle another round. As much as I would love to hand quilt each applique quilt, reality takes over.
I would like to thank my friend, Kathy P. who not only took photos of my quilts at a recent exhibit, but also stayed until the close of the show to collect them and take them home where they were kept safe and sound. I had fully intended to go with her, but and dealing with pneumonia and at 74, I am finding it slower to “snap back.” I always like to thank each of you who take time to comment on my little corner of the world as I appreciate your visits so much. Right now, I am behind but hope to catch up and see what you are up to also in the days ahead.
So now, the quilts have been collected and Benjamin Biggs is laid out on our bed...I am so pleased with the way it turned out. The caramel background and accents of dusty blue and the red chintz are soft and quiet...nice for a bedroom...
This quilt was worked on over the past few years, which if you have followed my blog, know, the days were filled with much stress as we dealt with the decline of my Mom and Dad’s health and everything that involved. At the end of each day, I would look forward to some quiet time and work on one of the applique blocks.
I wonder if quilts hold the quiltmaker’s thoughts between the layers and stitches?
So...I think a little nap might be in order...or should I follow these puppies and find out where they are headed? Looking for more friends, Spring or wondering why their other ear is floating above their head?
Happy stitching everyone!
Pat

14 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful! I am trying to remember if I made any of the blocks or just saved the patterns. Your color choice tempts me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow--what a stunning finish! You must be so thrilled with this! You did an incredible job, and the quilting looks perfect.
    Such an inviting sight on your bed. I vote for a nap. :)
    Those dogs look really fun. Interested to see what they are up to (or what you are up to with them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finish is absolutely breathtaking! I'm glad you made the decision to have it quilted for you. As you recover from the stress of the last couple years and your recent bout of pneumonia, the last thing you needed was the stress of handquilting such a huge quilt. I'm also needing to make some decisions about quilting all my quilts myself, and it's very hard to admit that maybe I just can't keep up anymore. I hope your health improves rapidly as spring sunshine and warmth arrive.. wonder what those puppies are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is just beautiful. Isn't it great when you can put something you've done on your bed to enjoy it in all its glory? It almost makes me wish I had participated in this BOM, too. I think BTCT did me in though. Enjoy your quilt; and get better soon. Sorry you couldn't participate in the quilt show because I know for me, it's always fun to see your quilts hung for others to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... this quilt is outstanding! So beautiful! It is breathtaking. She really shows herself at her best on your bed, and I love the colors you choose. Good decision to have her quilted for you; I too love a handquilted quilt, but it takes ages. And now you can just enjoy! Hope you will soon feel totally better. Those puppies already are adorable, even with loose ears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt and I can only imagine how thrilled you are with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! What an heirloom and treasure!! I made a few of the blocks and a table runner out of them / 3 more on a hanger in my closet for 'someday' :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness such a beautiful quilt with so many memories :) Sometimes you just have to make the decision to let someone else do the quilting for you. The quilt looks so pretty on your bed. Hope you feel better soon. I'm anxious to see what you do with those little dogs :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is a masterpiece with a story to go along with it. It looks beautiful in your bedroom and cozy enough for a comforting nap and a good nights sleep. Hope you bounce back soon and get the needle moving again. Your quilts are always beautiful and an inspiration to so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazingly gorgeous quilt and it looks so wonderful on your bed!! So happy for you that it is finished andI hope you are getting better and better each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, it is lovely. I do love the creamy caramel background on this. I might be tempted to start another big applique, just finished a small one. What a fantastic finish, wohooo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I believe quilts help hold our memories. Yours is very pretty!
    Feel better soon!! Naps are a must for a solid recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Benjamin Biggs quilt turned out beautiful. I too love hand quilting but my hands don’t. I think it better to have a finished quilt. Mine top is hanging waiting for someone to quilt it. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!