Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Monday, March 5, 2018

March Dolly Quilt Challenge & Books...

...pulling another UFO from the quilting cave to complete this little dolly quilt for the monthly mini quilt challenge from Wendy atThe Constant Quilter...


Leftover scraps from a long ago log cabin quilt - these 2 1/4” pinwheels in Aunt Gracie’s fabrics would be appropriate on a dolly bed for this month. When we cleared out Mom & Dad’s house back in 2015, I kept a few of Mom’s doll accessories and this small brass bed was one of them. It had been a Christmas gift to her a number of years ago and I had made a complete set of bed linens including the tiny redwork quilt to go with it. I can still remember how her face lit up on Christmas morning and the tears that appeared when she read the embroidered inscription on the pillow.



It was my Mom who started me down the path of loving books - she would read to me when I was young and then after I started school, she would have to remind me to come up for air frequently as I always had my nose stuck in whatever book I discovered. It is a generational thing too...we did the same thing with our son and he has inherited the love of reading. The joy of books is one of the best gifts you can give your children...

Speaking of books...check out what Mr. Outback gave me for my birthday...a book that has been on my wish list for 3 years...


If you love vintage and antique quilts and want to identify fabrics used and also learn more about how early textiles were created, this is THE BEST!
Look what I discovered about one of our family quilts...


While it does not necessarily mean my quilt was made that early, it tells me our family quiltmaker must have had a “stash” to work from that included cottons from 1825-1835. I continue to explore the pages of this wonderful book and have found more fabrics that compare with the quilt...no later than 1840’s...it is like being a detective. I should have gone for a degree in textiles, but getting through all the chemistry would have knocked me down...

Books and fabrics...and memories...what treasures!

Happy stitching everyone...

Pat

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet little quilt for the doll bed. And the set you made for your Mom is priceless! I can understand her tears.
    That book looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are way ahead of the game for the month of March. It's a sweet 30's dolly quilt you finished. The doll bed and linens you gave your mom is now a lovely addition to showcase your collection. I'm going to check my Amazon wish list because I think I have that book earmarked. If not, it looks like an incredible resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful set you made for your Mom / I just loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful set that you made for your Mom and I just loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I need to come up for air. I missed this post. I would have been very sorry to have missed it altogether. What a lovely gift for your mom and now you have it. It's so special. Are you a March baby? You mentioned your birthday and I was just wondering since I am, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are way ahead of the game! Your March little quilt is so sweet! I'm still working on mine. The adorable set you made for your Mom is absolutely priceless. I have to remember to check out that book--it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cherished memories of the sweet relationship between your mother and you. I don't remember my mother reading to me but my dad did, a lot. He loved books, and I'm sure that is where I got my love for books and history. Your little March doll quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! I will link both little quilt posts to my post. That book is one of my favorites. How wonderful that you have a family quilt with that fabric. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!