Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Monday, December 3, 2018

December OMG......

....if you have been following along with my recent posts that have been focusing on attempts to work on old UFO’s, you know that October and November goals were met in great part because of the challenge put out by Patty at Elm Street Quilts . I was kind of stumped for a bit trying to figure out December’s OMG...until I remembered a project that - once more - goes back a few years...this time, 1996...22 years ago...I have just run out of explanations and excuses...
Briefly, here is the story...I took a workshop from the same person who bought my quilt shop in 1995. Her name is Nina McVeigh and she has been a Bernina Educator for quite a few years now (she eventually decided to close the quilt shop after a number of years). Here is a link to check out Nina’s sewing tips and you can search for lots of her tutorials. Nina has an extensive background in sewing, clothing, quilting, long arm, you name it...a very accomplished and creative lady! So back to the workshop...we were to make a “Woodland Santa” - from scratch...soft cloth body, painted parts, pieced clothing, etc. My fella got his body put together, arms painted, boots and pants made and a coat that was partially pieced. As it so happened, he got neglected due to being in a brand new house that required much of my time and then a year of medical issues/treatment. And the Woodland Santa got shoved farther back into that all ready overloaded quilting cave.
Leaping ahead to 2018 - December...time to get reacquainted and finish this gentleman up in time for Christmas...so that is my December OMG .... thankfully everything was kept together - (and he has stayed put mounted on a rustic piece of log from our property - goodness, his patience level is amazing!) pattern pieces, instructions, half pieced wool coat, etc. His hair and beard will be composed of very special wool...when in Australia in 1994, we went to a sheep shearing shed and watched in fascination as the wool was shaved from the sheep. We were given wool to bring home (it was matted, grimy, filled with bits of twigs and leaves) and when I washed it in Ivory soap, it was magical the way it came clean and bright.
All the components...

Had auditoned a fabric for possible shirt earlier, but am changing my mind...
Partially pieced wool coat...

My special Australian sheeps wool and a mink collar selvedged from local Goodwill Store...


Back again later...will I be able to meet my goal for the 3rd month in a row?
Happy holiday stitching everyone!!
Pat

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks like fun! Love the pieced coat! A neighbor was wearing something like that to church a couple of weeks ago, and my daughter made pants like that for her nephew years ago. Both had larger patches than this coat you are making. :)
    I look forward to seeing this dapper fellow get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you are on a roll! He is adorable! I am thankful that all my UFO's are more patient than I am! Looking forward to seeing him dressed. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has quite the story ..... looking forward to seeing it completed this month! You CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are going to have a lot of fun this month! I love that little old gentleman's face! Looking forward to seeing this finish. As are you, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Pat...he is going to be beautiful. what a treasure. I will cheer you on from the sidelines that you reach your goal this month. It will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck getting your gentleman finished up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun project! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ho, ho, ho!. What a project and so appropriate for December. It will be fun to see how it all finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can't wait to see and I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - I couldn’t find a way to contact you so will reply here. Happy you dropped by!

      Delete
  10. I have only made rather simple dolls. The Santa you are working on looks like a bit of a challenge. A long time waiting for a finish and I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see your finished Woodland Santa! Great story! Hope he gets center stage for the holiday :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!