Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Monday, February 11, 2013

A quilting blast from the past...

Though our neck of the woods here in Wisconsin has not received the 3 feet of snow as New England has, we still have our share of winter - with everything from cold rains, icy mix to good old fashion white snow. Events have been cancelled and rescheduled. A typical February in other words. All this leads to time spent at home = sewing room time.

I won't bore you with photos of the continuing lines of hand quilting on the Cherry Tree quilt - but do note the word "continuing" - progress is definitely being made and the quilt is beginning to take on its new life. As for the Wedding Quilt - the blocks are almost complete & soon will be joined in rows. And that must remain under wraps for now:o) See that sketch on the graph paper? That is simply to make sure the blocks get oriented correctly in each row. I have been known to flip log cabin blocks when assembling the rows - yikes!

Soooo - what can I share with you on this slushy, snowy morning in the north woods? If you were heading outside you would definitely need to.............

 

Were you quilting back in 1994? Did you like the country/lodge look that was popular? There were some group quilts made at my old quilt shop and this was a popular one.

On this Country Threads pattern we each took a section & made 12 units then exchanged with each other in the group. It has always been a favorite of mine. Have loss touch with a couple of the ladies but most of us still see and or stitch together frequently. Such fun memories!

I still have the original pattern book ...

That is my Blast From the Past - do you have a favorite "oldie but goodie" quilt you bring out from time to time or use frequently?

That is all for now from Taylorsoutback - wishing each of you a good week - if you are still shoveling out - be safe and stay cozy. If you are enjoying warm sunshine, grab some for us snowbound northerners

Pat

 

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quilt! Just love the memories that these quilts evoke. I believe that's why they forever remain so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt! Looking forward to seeing the wedding quilt. Your home looks so warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember well those country quilt years. I wasn't familiar with the patterns you described but made my share of Lynette Jensen/Thimbleberries creations in the 90s! One of which was finally finished last year when I was learning to FMQ - it's half hand-quilted and half machine quilted. Definitely a utility quilt that resides on the back of the couch for everyday use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As part of that past, I've made that fun quilt from Country Threads. Styles come and styles go, but quilts are still dear to our hearts. Your log cabin look very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started quilting in 1999. I do remember some of that style being around. Just like clothes, quilt styles come and go. Cute quilt!
    I would need a diagram to keep my blocks going the right way too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I was quilting in 1994 I never did do a really country quilt but I do have orphan blocks from around that time and it was very country.
    It's lovely to see your blast from the past and good luck with the wedding quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is super cute, I love the red longjohns! My fav quilt was a BOM I pieced in 2003 and quilted in 04/05. It's very country too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the snow man from that pattern and I have him hanging around at the moment.
    My friend made the whole quilt, such a fun pattern and is never out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I made several from that book. Loved country threads & still do! I made several out of that book as well as the original "Country Threads" book from That Patchwork Place. I still have to put a plaid somewhere in every quilt I make. Good post, Pat. As usual, inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute quilt. I didn't start until 1998, unfortunately. Wish I'd been a'quiltin' all my life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new font for your blog along with your quilts! Going to the American Quilt Society show with my friend in three weeks (mid March) to Lancaster. Will be interesting. Stay warm TO. xxoo Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!