Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Tools of the trade...

Do you like to do foundation paper piecing...many quilters do but I also hear some groans out there!
While this process can be tedious and messy, I really like the accuracy that you can arrive at especially when dealing with smaller pieces. The first project on my 18 in 2018 list is those little scrappy houses dating back to 2012. As mentioned in my earlier post, looking at those bins of scraps has grown tiresome. This post isn’t so much about how to paper piece...there are numerous tutorials out there..this is more about the tools in my toolbox...


First of course is the sewing machine...I use my Bernina for everything, but paper piecing requires that you only have an adjustable straight stitch length on whatever machine you may have. The stitch length I use on mine is at 1.70 to start with. Later when removing the papers, you have a perforated line that usually gives way easily. Any needles (size 70-80) are kept in a special case marked “Paper only”. I keep a small Olfa cutting mat next to my machine too...


The first piece of fabric applied to the paper foundation is secured with a dot of Elmer’s glue stick. After adding the next fabric I like to use the Add-An-Eighth ruler to trim my seam...the slightly raised edge fits into the seam allowance snugly and does not move while trimming with my smallest Olfa rotary cutter (which I use only for paper or template plastic)


When working on a larger block, using the Add-A-Quarter ruler gets called for. Both of these rulers can be found at https://cmdesignsonline.com/recent-posts/paper-piecing-helpers-add-enough/
and I just discovered they make an Add-Enough ruler to ensure you have a large enough piece of fabric to cover the area you are stitching it to. No more guessing! Will have to check that out...

Once the seam has been trimmed, I use my wood “iron” to press...


When the entire unit is pieced, I do a basting stitch all the way around in the main seam allowance to secure everything before the final trimming. The 6 1/2” ruler works well for that. Then I give the little block a light pressing with the iron and add it to my growing stack of houses and little evergreens that will be place randomly throughout the quilt.


As each house is constructed from my scrap bins, the memories flow back - fabrics from earlier projects, friends who shared, road trips...”what was I thinking” fabrics...like the world we live in...these houses reflect all the differences that make us who we are...and somehow it all comes together.

Pat

10 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the process others use to accomplish their objective. You are very precise in your trimming of seam allowances, as we should be. That is also how I was taught, but being the lazy quilter that I am, I tend to clip them off with my scissors, just "eyeballing" the measurement. I can hear the quilt police at my door. Gotta go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very good tips! I have a small stack of those houses. I think I made about 23, hand pieced. I finally decided I wasn't going to make a quilt, at least not a very big one, of little houses and started making needlebooks out of them. I have to say, I think they turned out really cute and I look forward to making more. I like your wooden "iron." You can't really press paper along the way because I swear it shrinks a bit. I usually use my fingers but it bothers my skin to finger press. The wooden thing I have is much smaller and not as smooth as yours looks. The other tip I can use is basting around the paper pieced block in the seam allowance. I have other house blocks I am working that can really use this step. All-in-all, yours was a very educational post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a love/hate relationship with paper piecing. Yes, it is very perfect when done, but you have to really pay attention to what you are doing. I will say...I have to go look for my wood iron since I usually ruin my manicure using my fingernails for fingerpressing. I love your houses. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to see how you go about this. The only 'paper piecing' I've done is using phone book pages as foundations for strippy blocks. And I'm even moving away from that and exploring used dryer sheets as a foundation so nothing needs tearing off. What I really love is that little wood iron, it must be a joy to use vintage tools like that, much the same as I feel using my vintage Singer machines for piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a wonderful system going there. You are much more organized than I am. I love the addition of the little trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not fond of paper piecing though it does have its place. I do better log cabin blocks if I paper piece them. I have used the method with freezer paper where you don't stitch through the paper and sometimes it slips. I will try the dab of glue next time I give it a whirl.
    I like the quilt in the header. Though simple in design, it is my kind of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to be a groaner with paper piecing. Maybe I just haven't done enough of it or should use some of your great tips. I'm afraid the quilt police would come to my house as well. I got tired of using the ruler to trim and eyeballed it with scissors. 😔

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your post on paper piecing. I have mixed feelings about paper piecing. I have the add-a - quarter ruler you mentioned. I used it primarily for foundation paper piecing. It was a wonderful help. It made foundation piecing a breeze. It is the little hexagons used in paper piecing which get to me-very hard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My houses are still in the queue. My goal had been to make one to represent each house I've lived in. Now I have another house to make...
    Yours are adorable and have me thinking of getting mine out...am done my tools.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little houses have always been a favourite (some day!) and I love that you are dropping tiny trees in amongst them. This will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!