Sunset - June 2, 2020

Sunset - June 2, 2020

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Stitched...bound...and delivered...

The last couple of weeks have been devoted to completing the comfort quilt for my friend who is undergoing chemo...and the days have been quite busy and somewhat hectic. I did remember to grab a quick photo of the completed quilt before delivering it.

Big chunks of fabric and a very simplistic layout along with basic machine quilting got it done...



Being somewhat apprehensive as to how the quilt would be received, I was so happy to get multiple hugs! The flannel backing in particular has been greatly appreciated. We decided a good name for the quilt is “Be well!”  which is what I most sincerely wish for this dear lady. 

Meanwhile, here at Taylorsoutback, we have finally broken away from the tough winter weather - the days have turned sunny and soft breezes are giving us a little taste of Spring warmth...our driveway and deck continue to grow more visible as do a few edges of my raised beds in the garden. We can even reach the outdoor grill!  Knowing how Spring in Wisconsin behaves though...we are wise to her ways...cold and snow can still appear, but at least it won’t linger as long. 

As for the sewing room...some slow hand applique has been going on - and the sewing machine continues to get lots of attention. It is hard to resist Gay Bomers over at Sentimental Stitches when she offers yet another BOM challenge based on an antique quilt...wanting to brush up on my piecing skills and also tap into my growing collection of reproduction fabrics, I have jumped into her Cheddarback quilt...Gay has set up a Facebook page and just last week, the participating count was 500+! Everyone is showing a fascinating variety of fabrics and it is always fun to “meet” new quilters and at the same time,  recognize others who have made the same quilting journey on previous BOM projects.

Here is the first month’s offering...we have done a 12” (finished) block and 4 5” (finished) blocks. Eventually all will be joined together with sashing and cornerstones. I have not decided on that part yet...will wait to see how everything plays out...


There is a bonus block offered and I am deciding on fabrics as I type! 

That’s it for now...will link up to Patty’s OMG for March with the Be Well quilt - loving her program as it has really made it possible for me to stay focused and move things forward.

Wish I had a photo of something blooming outside like other bloggers...but we are still snowcovered. For now I will share a card I received from our Dave and Jena - they know of my love for Stargazer lilies...this card is definitely a keeper! 


And I could not pass up a little bouquet of real Stargazer lilies at the grocery store...oh the fragrance...





Wishing everyone a lovely weekend and as always...Happy Stitching.

Pat



17 comments:

  1. love your lilies - the real one and the card. I'm sure your friend appreciated the quilt and well wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quilt to cover up with is made from flannel. It gives a big hug with its warmth and softness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Cheddarback blocks look lovely. I have so much repro fabric and lots of shirtings but so not want to start anything new. But I do love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Be Well quilt will be so loved, those large blocks are perfect for highlighting the beautiful colors and floral design. Following those who joined Cheddarback with interest but too many other ongoing projects to participate. Spring is definitely coming, we will have a crocus or two within a very few days, and for that we are all thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kuddos to you I can't keep up with my own stuff, so I will enjoy watching your BOM come together. I know it will be beautiful. Here in MI we are getting that little taste of Spring, too. Sure gets the hopes up, doesn't it? I have to say that looking at your lovely flowers whether real or paper make me feel very optimistic that Spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Be Well" is a beautiful and quick quilt for your friend. I can see that design used for a lot of different styles of fabrics. Spring likes to play a little peek-a-boo here. Sounds like she can do the same thing where you live. It's a lovely start on your new SAL. Lots have joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely quilt and a very sweet gift. Just what the doctor ordered! I was tempted by Gay's latest sew-a-long too, but I just have too many going right now. I love your color choices. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful quilt for your friend. The fabric you put in the blocks is lovely and makes a nice focus, while the triple sashing with 9-patch cornerstones adds even more visual interest. Flannel was a good choice for a chemo patient quilt. Nice job!
    You've chosen cozy, warm colors so far for your Cheddarback blocks. As the only person apparently not participating in this SAL, I will watch everyone's progress with interest. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely quilt for your friend. The flannel backing is a great idea! I was tempted to make Cheddarback but I really have too much going on so will pass for now. I am printing out the instructions, though, just in case. Beautiful Stargazer lilies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt for your friend turned out beautifully, and in record time! She will think of you and your kind heart as she works through her journey and know that you are a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "Be Well" quilt is lovely! Very much appreciated by your friend I am sure. Flannel backs are so cozy! I love your fabrics in your Cheddarback blocks. I am hoping to join in but I am already behind. What an ingenious card, I bet that brightened your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect quilt for your friend. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Cheddarback blocks look great--love your fabric choices! I'm sure it was a wonderful feeling to gift your lovely quilt--congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason all your photos are missing this morning as I try to read your blog. I will refresh and come back. Do you suppose it’s that Blogger gremlin again?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stargazers are my favorites also! Love the Be Well quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous quilt, it's like a hug and a bouquet of flowers all at once.
    I too love stargazers! Hoping for a good crop of peonies this year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like the chocolate chips in cookies...they make my day!